media sources for European Union news appear at
the top of the European
Union page of this Virtual Library. News media
sources focusing on or originating in
specific world regions appear at the top of
the page of this Virtual Library
dedicated to that region.
European Media Monitor Newsbrief-- Major world news aggregator sponsored by European Union agencies: "Novel and unique software that gathers reports from news portals world-wide in 60 languages, classifies the articles, analyses the news texts by extracting information from them, aggregates the information, issues alerts and produces intuitive visual presentations of the information found." Also see the EMM News Explorer.
Global Voices-- "An international, volunteer-led project that collects, summarizes, and gives context to some of the best self-published content found on blogs, podcasts, photo sharing sites, and videoblogs from around the world, with a particular emphasis on countries outside of Europe and North America."
Google Custom Search facility for all of the major newspapers in the United Kingdom, from Phil Bradley.
Google News-- Excellent portal draws news from thousands of English-language sources worldwide, using Google full-text search technology for constant real-time updating, allowing users to scan headlines and to search in depth. Has searchable archives. International versions of Google News allow country and language-specific searches.
NewsNow-- London-based news
aggregator that constantly updates feeds from thousands of
press and newsblog sources, with access by hundreds of
topics and subtopics or by keyword search.
Spotlight on Military News and
International Affairs-- Daily compendium of links to
carefully selected items on security issues in the world
press, from the Canadian Forces College.
Today's Front Pages-- Unusual offering from the Newseum (USA), today's front pages from hundreds of newspapers from scores of countries, "in their original, unedited form," enlargeable and with links to the web sites of those papers.
Watching America-- "Discover What the World Thinks About U.S." with English language translations of foreign press commentary about the United States and its foreign policy, from around the world and with links to the original sources.
World News Network-- Highly-rated
gateway to a very large number of World News Network
online news sources worldwide (including specialized
ones), by region, country, and topics of coverage, plus
search capabilities for news items in many languages.
"Delivers the best global journalism previously shut off
from English language readers: selecting, translating and
editing content from top foreign-language outlets."
• Abyz News Links-- Links to many thousands of newspapers and other news sources from around the world, those with news content of widespread interest.
• Big Project-- From the UK, a large Internet directory of English-language newspapers worldwide.
• Hot Newspapers-- Online newspapers from around the world, over 10,000, organized by region, country, city, state or province, and language.
• List of Newspapers-- "Largest directory of newspapers around the world," links to over 25,000 newspapers in over 200 countries and territories.
• Newspaperindex-- Presents the most important online newspapers in most countries of the world.
• Online Newspapers.com-- A global listing of thousands, by country, from Web Wombat, an Australian search engine company.
• Paperboy-- Fine directory, with thousands of links to newspapers by prestige, country, front pages, and headlines.
• World-Newspapers-- Directory of online English-language newspapers and news sites around the world, by country, plus magazines by type.
• Agence France-Presse--
"Global news agency delivering fast, in-depth coverage
of the events shaping our world from wars and
conflicts to politics, sports, entertainment and the
latest breakthroughs in health, science and
• Al Jazeera-- "International
news channel with over sixty bureaus around the world
that span six different continents," with
headquarters in Doha, Qatar. Recognized for its
reporting on less-covered regions and topics.
• BBC News Online-- World news from one of the most trusted sources, in print, audio, and video.
Broadcasting Corporation-- News from a
prestigious source, with much audio and video
• Christian Science Monitor-- Excellent online analytical content from an award-winning U.S. news organization with an international perspective.
• euronews-- Leading European news video channel, with international news, weather, features, and topic directories in several languages, from a European perspective.
Guardian-- Leading British newspaper with global
Business Times-- Fine source for global business
news, with several country-based international
editions available, in the respective languages.
Press Service-- World news stressing developing
countries, from a "global news agency producing
independent news and analysis about events and global
processes affecting the economic, social and political
development of peoples and nations, especially in the
Monde Diplomatique-- World-renown French
language newspaper; this link is to the
English-language edition, with archives.
• New York Times-- Fine
international section. Site features a free searchable
archive of full-text NYT news items since
1981. Signing up for a free account
gives you access to columnists, breaking news
alerts, and daily alerts about headline news items in
topics that you select from many options.
• Overseas Security Advisory Council-- From the U.S. Department of State, advisories on security-related issues around the world including "Travel Advisories, Public Announcements, daily security related news articles, overseas reports on security and crime incidents, terrorist group profiles, significant anniversary dates, general crime information for cities and countries, locations and contacts at U.S. posts overseas, and updates on new or unusual situations."
• Project Syndicate-- "The world's opinion page... produces and delivers original high-quality commentaries to a global audience... we provide news media and their readers cutting-edge analysis and insight..." with contributions from prominent scholars, policymakers, activists, civic leaders, etc., from around the world.
• Pulitzer Center on
Crisis Reporting-- "Innovative award-winning
non-profit journalism organization dedicated to
supporting the independent international journalism
that U.S. media organizations are increasingly less
able to undertake. The Center focuses on
under-reported topics, promoting high-quality
international reporting and creating platforms that
reach broad and diverse audiences."
Free Europe/Radio Liberty-- "Daily report of
developments in Eastern Europe, Russia, the Caucasus
and Central Asia, based on news gathered by the
correspondents, services and regional specialists of
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty," whose mission is "to
provide uncensored news and information to countries
where a free press is either banned by the government
or not fully established."
world and business news stories from this prestigious
• Time-- The prestigious American weekly news magazine, available online in several editions-- United States, Europe, Asia, and South Pacific.
of America News-- News and special reports,
printed and audio (in scores of languages), from this
U.S. government international service.
• Washington Post World Section-- With regional news pages, and searchable
by countries, topics, or keywords.