Blogs, and Portal
News Sources in English on Africa-- Africa Intelligence, allAfrica, African Business, Business Daily Africa, New African, The Guardian (Nigeria), Pulse (Ghana), The Zambezian (Mozambique), Mail and Guardian (South Africa), News 24 (South Africa), The Times (South Africa), Channel Africa (South Africa), Business Day (South Africa), Daily Monitor (Uganda), Daily News (Tanzania), Daily Nation (Kenya), The East African (Kenya), Standard Digital (Kenya), New Times (Rwanda), Reuters, Google News, BBC, CNN, Christian Science Monitor, Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Voice of America, Inter Press Service, The Guardian
Insightful Blogs on Africa-- Africa Can End Poverty (World Bank), Africa in Transition (Council on Foreign Relations), Africa Renewal (United Nations), African Arguments (Royal African Society), Africa in Focus (Brookings Institution), ARI Blog (Africa Research Institute)
Internet Library Sub-Saharan Africa-- "A portal that offers an integrated access to relevant scientific conventional and digital information resources on the sub-Saharan Africa region. Information scattered on private or institutional websites, databases or library catalogues are [sic] brought together in order to facilitate research." Over 5000 websites from and on Africa are accessible here. A General Search option is also available.
• ACCORD-- "The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) is an international civil-society organisation working throughout Africa to bring appropriate African solutions to the challenges posed by conflict on our continent." Publications online.
• Africa Center for Strategic Studies-- "The pre-eminent [U.S.] Department of Defense institution for strategic security studies, research, and outreach in Africa... engages African partner states and institutions through rigorous academic and outreach programs that build strategic capacity and foster long-term, collaborative relationships." Posts news and many publications on Center programs and on African security issues and trends.
• Africa Desk--
Research guide portal to African studies, particularly in
the UK and Africa. Posts "directories of African and UK
scholars... in addition to information on African studies
centres in the UK and specialist Africanist libraries in
the UK and elsewhere in Europe... a central hub of
information on Africanist research carried out in the UK."
Forum-- Website of the Forum created by leading
African statespersons to improve leadership skills in
Africa, with news about Forum activities, digital library,
many quality online publications on major African issues,
and the magazine Africa Forum.
• Africa Map-- From Harvard
University, excellent interactive map with data layers
that "allows students, researchers, and the general public
to interact with the best available public data for
Africa, see the whole of Africa yet also zoom in to
particular places, accumulate both contemporary and
historical data supplied by researchers and make it
permanently accessible online, [and] work collaboratively
across disciplines and organizations with spatial
information about Africa in an online environment."
Provides partial interfacing for all other world areas.
• Africa Portal--
"Undertaking by the Centre for International Governance
Innovation, Makerere University, and the South
African Institute of International Affairs, the
Africa Portal offers open access to a suite of features
including an online library collection; a resource for
opinion and analysis; an experts directory; an
international events calendar; and a mobile technology
component—all aimed to equip users with research and
information on Africa’s current policy issues."
• Africa Power
and Politics-- "Identifying ways of exercising power
and doing politics that work for development...
questioning conventional ideas about what ‘good
governance’ should mean in the context of sub-Saharan
Africa." Funded by the UK Department for International
Development and Irish Aid. Posts news and studies.
Research Institute-- "Independent, non-partisan
think-tank based in London [that] aims to reflect,
understand and build on the dynamism in Africa today. We
seek to draw attention to ideas and initiatives that have
worked in Africa, and identify new ideas where needed."
Posts publications, blog, and podcasts.
• African Development Bank Group--
"Regional multilateral development finance institution
established in 1964 and engaged in mobilising resources
towards the economic and social progress of its Regional
Member Countries... the premier financial development
institution of Africa." Posts statistics, reports, and
studies on African finance and development issues,
including the "African
Statistical Yearbook," "African
Economic Outlook," and "African
• African Union-- The international
organization for all African countries, with information
about the AU and its member countries.
• Afrobarometer-- "Independent, nonpartisan research project that measures the social, political and economic atmosphere in Africa... surveys are conducted in 35 African countries and are repeated on a regular cycle. Because the instrument asks a standard set of questions, countries can be systematically compared." Online data analysis and downloadable data.
• Ibrahim Index
of African Governance-- From the Mo Ibrahim
Foundation, data and reports on "the effective delivery of
public goods and services to African citizens... the most
comprehensive collection of quantitative data that
provides an annual assessment of governance performance in
every African country."
• Institute for Security
Studies-- From South Africa, "an African
organisation which aims to enhance human security on the
continent. It does independent and authoritative research,
provides expert policy analysis and advice, and delivers
practical training and technical assistance." Posts many
publications on African development issues.
Regional Information Network-- From the UN Office
for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, providing
news items on crises in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Making Finance Work for
Africa-- "Knowledge hub for data, latest news,
links, and resources on African financial sectors... from
country financial sector profiles across the continent to
thematic snapshots, the website makes
available a vast amount of resources."
• Nordic Africa Institute-- "Center for research, documentation and information on modern Africa in the Nordic region. Based in Uppsala, Sweden, the Institute is dedicated to providing timely, critical and alternative research and analysis of Africa in the Nordic countries and to strengthen the co-operation between African and Nordic researchers." Note the Library's "A Guide to Africa on the Internet," among its other online resources.
African Institute of International Affairs--
"Non-governmental research institute focused on South
Africa’s and Africa’s international relations. We provide
analysis, promote dialogue and contribute to African
policy making in a dynamic global context." Posts many policy studies and podcasts on
the "external engagement of South Africa and Africa with
the rest of the world."
• United Nations Economic Commission for
Africa-- News, information, many statistics, and
many online reports are available free in full-text from
this United Nations regional organization. Great source
for authoritative online economic information about
• Virtual Library on Capacity Development-- From the African Capacity Building Foundation, many studies on socio-political and economic capabilities issues and policies in Africa, within the goal of "building sustainable human and institutional capacity for poverty reduction in Africa."
• World Bank Sub-Saharan Africa--
Papers, discussion notes, and reports on economic,
environmental, and social issues in Sub-Saharan Africa
today, overall and by country.