NOTE: Many resources
linked on other pages of this site provide comparative
country data and statistics in diverse topical areas
such as human rights, election results, press freedom,
population, and international trade. Some of those are
listed here, for major interest areas, but please also
search in a page of this site that includes the
specific topic of your interest.
Zanran is a specialized search engine to find ''semi-structured" data online, "the numerical data... presented as graphs and tables and charts," such as "a graph in a PDF report, or a table in an Excel spreadsheet, or a bar chart shown as an image in an HTML page... [which are] difficult to find using conventional search engines, which are focused primarily on finding text rather than graphs, tables and bar charts."
Google offers a public statistical data search facility.
International Statistics-- From the
Library of Statistics Finland, "Key international
statistics and data sources have been gathered into this
portal. The selection includes free data sources of the
most important and reliable international organisations
Internet Crossroads in Social Science Data-- From the Data and Program Library Service, University of Wisconsin-Madison, a site that "contains over 950 annotated links to data-related resources on the Internet."
Knoema World Data Atlas-- Very useful online data and statistical analysis application for key current and time series statistics for every country, "bringing relevant indicators [from many standard sources] into a common space, visualizing figures, applying analytical functions, creating a set of dashboards, and presenting the outcome." Good maps, charts, and graphs.
LIS Cross-National Data Center--
"Home to the Luxembourg Income Study Database and the
Luxembourg Wealth Study Database. These databases contain
harmonised microdata from high- and middle-income
countries around the world."
Free for use, including the Working Papers series, but
OFFSTATS: Official Statistics on the Web--
Annotated links to sites offering "free and easily
accessible social, economic and general data from official
sources,"current data and time series, by country, IGO,
topic, or subject.
Organization for Economic Development and Cooperation-- The international organization of the industrialized, market-economy countries, to exchange information and harmonize policy to maximize economic growth within member countries and assist non-member countries to develop more rapidly. OECD data is posted online. The Publishing section is a good place to start searching for publications. OECD resources focusing on a particular country (OECD member or not) can be found in the Countries section. The very useful yearly OECD Factbook is "an essential tool providing a global overview of world economic, social and environmental trends." An interactive eXplorer feature allows Factbook time-series data manipulation on a world map and a scatter plot screen.
Statistical Agencies in the UN/ECE
Region-- Links to national and international
statistics agencies relevant to the U.N. Economic
Commission for Europe's 55 member countries in Europe and
Web-- From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,
listing U.S. and international online sources of all kinds
of reliable statistics.
Statistics-- From RBA Information
Services, in the UK, a very extensive compilation of links
to statistics sources worldwide, for many countries and
UK Data Service-- UK's academic data service for a "single point of access to a wide range of secondary data including large-scale government surveys, international macrodata, business microdata, qualitative studies and census data."
United Nations Statistics Division-- From the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations, a vast array of world, regional, and national statistics from many national and international sources. Note the annual World Statistics Pocketbook in PDF.
World Bank Data-- The World Bank Group's extensive data resources are organized and available through this page, with pointers to social, governance, financial, economic, and climate statistics, data, and reports. The Countries and Economies page presents time-series tables of key indicators by country. Also see the data and analysis available at the Countries page.
• Administration and Cost of Elections (ACE) Project-- Really fine "online knowledge repository that provides comprehensive information and customized advice on electoral processes," including comparative country election data and analysis and a huge Encyclopaedia of Elections.
• Amnesty International-- Country studies are available from this well-known organization promoting human rights worldwide.
• aneki.com-- Provides statistical
facts plus continental and world rankings for countries,
in various categories and from standard sources.
• Australia's Department of Foreign
Affairs and Trade offers Countries, Economies, and Regions
• Central Intelligence Agency of the United States publishes a World Factbook reference annual, with data, flags, and maps-- one of the most widely respected online sources of country and world information, with a country comparison and ranking feature.
• Charts Bin-- Using
standard and mainly
international data from authoritative sources, a
"web-based data visualization tool that will allow
everyone to quickly and easily create rich interactive
visualizations with their own data," and also presents
statistical data in easy-to-understand maps, charts, and
• Country Statistics-- From UNICEF, country data on measures of well-being, particularly for children.
• Electoral Geography-- Posts maps and
analysis about spatial regularities and patterns of
election results around the world, or "mapped politics...
a socio-political analysis of voting trends in the world’s
• Gender Equality Data and Statistics--
From the World Bank, an electronic database of gender
equality statistics and indicators, by country and
• GeoHive-- "Site with geopolitical
data, statistics on the human population, Earth and more.
The main kind of data you can find here is population
statistics of regions, countries, provinces and cities.
Next to that there are some statistics on economic factors
like wealth, infrastructure; statistics on natural
• Human Development Report Office,
United Nations Development Programme-- The annual Human
Development Report is an excellent comprehensive
guide to global human development, with analyses of major
issues, updated Human Development Indicators that compare
the relative levels of human development of over 175
countries, and an agenda to help transform development
priorities. Much of the report is available online, and
links to regional and national HDI reports.
• Human Rights Watch-- Dedicated to
protecting the human rights of people around the world, by
investigating and exposing human rights violations and
holding abusers accountable. Many country reports online,
including their yearly World Report.
of Economic Freedom-- From the Heritage Foundation
and the Wall Street Journal, "a practical
reference guide to the world's economies. It includes
country-by-country analyses and the most up-to-date data
available on foreign investment codes, taxes, tariffs,
banking regulations, monetary policy, black markets, and
• Infoplease (World section)-- An
almanac approach to world and country facts, statistics,
• International Foundation for Election
nonprofit U.S. organization supporting electoral and other
democratic institutions in emerging, evolving, and
experienced democracies--"one of the world's premier
democracy and governance assistance organizations."
Insightful electoral information and analysis. See the Election
Guide for election news and analysis worldwide.
• International Institute for Democracy
and Electoral Assistance--
Aims to promote and advance sustainable democracy, improve
and consolidate electoral processes world-wide, and
provide a forum for discussions and action among
individuals and organizations involved in democracy
promotion. This site from Sweden offers news, analyses,
and databases. Note especially Democracy
and Gender and Voter Turnout.
• International Monetary Fund-- The
IMF oversees a wide range of international economic and
financial issues. Numerous publications on economic and
financial issues, including country information and World Economic Outlook Reports,
are available online. The Financial Soundness Indicators
database is "aimed at supporting macroprudential
analysis—the surveillance and assessment of the strengths
and vulnerabilities of [national] financial systems."
Union-- Information on the IPU (the world
organization of parliaments of sovereign states), the
functioning of parliamentary democracy around the world,
women in parliaments, and links to parliamentary web
sites. The PARLINE Database on National Parliaments
gives information about all the functioning national
legislative bodies in the world.
• Live Currency Converter-- "Converts
any amount from one currency to another with more than 150
foreign currenies available. Exchange rates are updated
Master-- Great site for comparative statistics. "A
massive central data source and a handy way to graphically
compare nations. NationMaster is a vast compilation of
data from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, UN, and
OECD. Using the form above, you can generate maps and
graphs on all kinds of statistics with ease."
• Nations Online-- Thorough compendium of wide-ranging information and links on the world's countries, "a portal of gateways to the countries, cultures and nations in the world, a reference directory and a destination guide."
• Pew Global Attitudes Project-- From
Research Center, an excellent "series of worldwide
public opinion surveys that encompasses a broad array of
subjects ranging from people's assessments of their own
lives to their views about the current state of the world
and important issues of the day." Note the Foreign
Affairs and Policy page and the Global Indicators Database, which
allows users to find poll results on diverse topics in the
scores of countries where Pew has done surveys.
• Population Reference Bureau-- Excellent for authoritative data and analysis on world, regional, and national population and demographics trends. Features a large multimedia repository. Note their Annual Report and their annual World Population Data Sheet for "up-to-date demographic, health, and environment data for all the countries and major regions of the world." Search for data and analysis by topic, region, or country. The handy DataFinder has comparable data on well over 100 population, health, and environment variables for over 200 countries, 29 world regions and sub-regions, and the world as a whole and allows user-created tables. The quarterly Population Bulletins on selected topics are very useful.
Regional and Country Profiles--
From the world-class Electronic Development and
Environment Information System (Eldis), a wide variety
of detailed country-specific information and analysis.
Helps you to search the "yellow and white pages
[telephone] directories from around the world."
• Timeanddate.com-- Know the current
time and date at locations around the world. The Personal
World Clock feature allows you to keep track of time in
locations of your own interest.
• TimeTicker-- Shows time zones around
the world, and current time and date by country.
International-- "The global civil society
organisation leading the fight against corruption... by
building momentum for the anti-corruption movement,
raising awareness and diminishing apathy and tolerance of
corruption, as well as devising and implementing practical
actions to address it." TI's many online corruption
surveys, indices, working papers, and reports analyze and
rank countries "in terms of the degree to which they are
perceived to be the homes of... public officials who abuse
their office for personal gain."
Health-- From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention, including information on countries and
• United Nations Population Fund--
"World's largest international source of funding for
population and reproductive health programmes." This U.N.
site provides much information, news, and analysis on
world population issues, including the annual State
of World Population report, free online.
States Census Bureau's International Programs Section-- A rich computerized data bank containing
statistical tables of past, present, and projected
demographic and socio-economic data for most countries and
all areas of the world.
• Universal Currency Converter-- The
Universal Currency Converter figures rates among over 180
• Universities Worldwide-- Database of
links to thousands of universities in over 200 countries.
• Weather Forecasts and Climates--
Current global weather and forecasts are found at AccuWeather, CNN, and Intellicast Global. Weatherbase
gives climatological descriptions, historical weather
patterns, records, and averages around the world.
Database of Happiness-- "An ongoing register of
scientific research on subjective appreciation of life. It
brings together findings that are scattered throughout
many studies and provides a basis for synthetic studies."
Includes data by country. From Erasmus University in
Time Server-- Gives current local times in cities
and countries, including real time adjustments for
daylight savings time, and compares time differences among
places for a given future date. Includes maps.
• World Values Survey-- Insightful results and analysis of a major international academic team's investigation of sociocultural and political attitudes and their changes, through representative surveys of the basic values and beliefs of publics in scores of societies, covering a high percentage of the world's population. Principal findings, charts, methodology, bibliography, studies online.