Search Engines, News, and Blogs
Search Engine Colossus and Search Engine Guide are
comprehensive global master directories of local search
engines for regional, country, or language-specific
searches. Yahoo! provides country-specific, regional, and official government site search options. Google
Translate is a useful option. Glearch
allows you to search for language and country-specific
content in "top results from Google, Yahoo and Bing as
well as the most popular search engines for the selected
NOTE: Also check the many
relevant links in the European
Union section of this Web site, among others.
News Sources in English on
Eastern Europe-- Baltics Worldwide (Baltic States), Central Europe News (EIN News), Prague
Daily Monitor (Czech Republic), Radio Free
Europe/Radio Liberty (International), Transitions
Online (International), Russia Today, RIA
Novosti (Russia), Moscow Times
(Russia), Pravda (Russia), Russia beyond the
Headlines (by Rossiyskaya Gazeta), Warsaw
Voice (Poland), Balkan Insight
(SE Europe), Los
Angeles Times, Inter
Press Service, Global
Russia News, The
• Centre for European Policy Studies--
From Brussels, one of Europe's leading think tanks, with
the motto of "Thinking ahead for Europe." Excellent and
numerous online publications, full-text and abstracts, and
commentary index, largely on the European Union.
• Council of European Social Science Data
Archives-- "Promotes the acquisition, archiving
and distribution of electronic data for social
science teaching and research in Europe...The CESSDA home
pages allow easy access to the catalogues of member
organisations and provide a central news forum about its
activities and other relevant information."
• Europages-- Searchable European business directory that provides 2.3 million company addresses from over 35 European countries, key business information, links to yellow pages throughout Europe and to world business sites.
• Europe’s World-- "The only independent Europe-wide policy journal, produced in association with some 150-plus leading European think tanks and academic institutions... the premier ideas platform for new thinking on political, economic and social issues, read by over 100,000 of the most influential decision makers and opinion leaders across Europe."
Archive-- "Digital library of [European] cultural
artifacts in digital form. We provide free access to
researchers, historians, scholars, and the general
public." Posts culturally significant documents, videos,
audio, images of a wide variety.
• European Bank for Reconstruction and
Development-- Information on the economic transition
in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
• European Centre for Minority Issues-- NGO that "advances majority-minority relations in the wider Europe through action, research and documentation... supports the stabilization of areas of ethno-political tension and conflict, contributes to the strengthening of relevant legislation and best practices in governance, and enhances the capacity of civil society actors and governments to engage with one another in a constructive way." All reports, working papers, and issue briefs are available online in full-text. Note the Ethnopolitical Map of Europe and the Enriched Links Database.
• European Institute-- From the London
School of Economics and Political Science, an outstanding
"primary focus for the inter-disciplinary study of
processes of integration and fragmentation within Europe."
Posts many papers in its priority areas of research:
governance of the European Union, European ideas and
identities, and European political economy. The "Europe in
Question" series explores "the future development and
governance of Europe... new lines of reflection and
analysis, and... research across cognate disciplines."
Note the Research Resources on Europe page.
• European Values Study--
"Large-scale, cross-national, and longitudinal survey
research program on basic human values [in Europe],
[carried on by] the European Values Study group...
aimed at exploring the moral and social values underlying
European social and political institutions and governing
conduct." Site posts surveys and results, newsletters,
link to data, and more.
• Research Institute for
European and American Studies-- From Athens, aims
"to promote the understanding of international affairs.
Special attention is devoted to transatlantic relations,
intelligence studies and terrorism, European integration,
international security, Balkan and Mediterranean studies,
Russian foreign policy as well as policy making on
national and international markets.
Crime and Corruption Center-- "The first center in
the United States devoted to understanding the links among
terrorism, transnational crime and corruption, and to
teach, research, train and help formulate policy on these
critical issues," from the School of Public Policy at
George Mason University. Emphasis on the CIS, with many
studies posted online.
• Transitions Online-- Useful and
searchable resources about the evolving societies and
emerging markets of Central and Eastern Europe and the
former Soviet Union, to connect the region's media, NGOs,
universities, and other resources. Features news,
newsletters, country information reports, links, and more.
• United Nations Economic Commission for Europe-- News, information, many statistics, and many online reports are available free in full-text from this United Nations regional organization. Great source for authoritative online economic information about Europe. Note the Statistical Database, with a wide range of data covering Europe, North America, and Central Asia, and the Official Statistical Organizations links directory.
• University Association for Contemporary
European Studies-- Based in the UK, "one of the
world’s premier European Studies associations [which] has
brought together academics involved in researching and
teaching on Europe with practitioners active in European
affairs. It encourages the involvement of people from a
variety of disciplines which have a European emphasis."
Posts mainly UACES materials and maintains the Expert
on Europe website, a database of experts on European
Bank Europe and Central Asia-- Papers, discussion
notes, and reports dealing with the full range of
economic, environmental, and social issues facing Eastern
Europe and Central Asia today.
• ZACAT-- "Social science data portal
allowing you to search for, browse, analyse and download
[European] social science survey data, provided by the
GESIS department 'Data Archive and Data Analysis'...
Beside documentation on study level (e.g. abstract,
related publications), all studies come along with
documentation of full question and answer texts on