• Bloggingportal.eu-- The major portal for EU political blogs, aggregating access to over 1000 such blogs.
• EU Business-- Business news generally and by business sector or country of the European Union. Note especially the EU Guides page with "background information and questions and answers about topical EU business issues."
• eufeeds-- From the European Journalism Centre, posts links to current news from over 1000 newspapers from over a score of European countries, constantly updated and with a page on European news.
• EUobserver.com-- "Independent
website published in cooperation with the Group for a
Europe of Democracies and Diversities in the European
Parliament" for "all the latest news from the EU," with
links to European news sources for most topics, e-mail
news option, and debate section.
• EurActiv-- Excellent searchable portal site and directory, with a lot of solid content of news (with archives), analysis, country profiles, policy positions, online guide to thousands of EU actors, more.
• Euromoney-- A sophisticated source of business and financial information, includes extended research and surveys, capital markets league tables from Euromoney's proprietary databases, and dates of forthcoming industry summits, conferences and seminars.
• euronews-- Leading European news video channel, with international news, weather, features, and topic directories in several languages, from a European perspective.
• Europe’s World-- "The only independent Europe-wide policy journal, produced in association with some 150-plus leading European think tanks and academic institutions... the premier ideas platform for new thinking on political, economic and social issues."
• European Media Monitor Newsbrief-- Major news aggregator sponsored by EU agencies: "Novel and unique software that gathers reports from news portals world-wide in 60 languages, classifies the articles, analyses the news texts by extracting information from them, aggregates the information, issues alerts and produces intuitive visual presentations of the information found." Note the many news links on aspects of the EU. Also see the EMM News Explorer.
Voice-- Web version of a Brussels-based weekly
newspaper published by the Economist Group and devoted
entirely to European Union affairs.
• Google's European Union news search page--
Excellent and focused search engine to retrieve news about
the European Union. Offers an e-mail news alert service.
• Inside Europe-- The BBC's website on
EU news, opinions, and analysis.
• New Europe-- "The European weekly, published since 1993, is a unique product carrying news and analyses from 49 countries with a particular emphasis on the EU institutions and EU-World relations."
• Presseurop.eu-- Posts news, commentary, and cartoons from "the best of the European press," in several languages.
• the Euros-- News, analysis, and
blogs, "to explain European politics in an understandable
fashion... the latest news from Brussels and the member
states, background reports and interviews."
• The Parliament-- "Dods' EU political news and information website, providing comprehensive real time news and analysis of the key issues and debates within the EU institutions."
Community Research and Development Information
Service, the "European Commission's primary public
repository and portal to disseminate information on
all EU-funded research projects and their results,"
with "all public information held by the Commission
(project factsheets, publishable reports and
deliverables), editorial content to support
communication and exploitation (news, events, success
stories, magazines, multilingual "results in brief"
for the broader public) and comprehensive links to
external sources such as open access publications and
• Council of Europe--
"Seeks to develop throughout Europe common and
democratic principles based on the European Convention
on Human Rights and other reference texts on the
protection of individuals... on the basis of these
fundamental values we try to find shared solutions to
major problems such as terrorism, organized crime and
corruption, cybercrime, bioethics and cloning,
violence against children and women, and trafficking
in human beings." Full texts and archives are found on
and Archives website.
Delegation to the USA-- This large site, by the
European Commission's Offices of Press and Public
Affairs in Washington D.C. and New York, is a fine
source of information about the EU, its member
states, and the EU-US relationship.
The massive EU server, covering the Parliament, the
Council, the Commission, the Court of Justice, the Court
of Auditors, and other bodies of the European Union.
There is a huge amount of information on this site.
Check the Newsroom
for news, information, and orientation. Basic
information about the European Union is found at How the EU Works and a history at
The History of the European Union.
A Facts and Figures page is
available and a page explaining 'eurojargon'. A glossary contains over 200 "terms
relating to European integration and the institutions
and activities of the EU." The Enlargement section of the
European Commission site examines issues of EU
enlargement. All available information on EUROPA about
the EU's foreign policies/external relations can be
found through the European Union External Action Service.
• EU Bookshop-- Handy interactive
site "giving access to publications from the EU
institutions, agencies and other bodies... with an
online catalogue and archive of all EU publications. EU
Bookshop will allow users to search for EU publications,
order them and where possible, download [often free]
searchable portal of the European Union for European
Union Law, including the Official Journal of the
• European Commission Central Library--
Central locator site maintained by the European
Commission's unit responsible for libraries and European
Documentation Centres, "an essential tool for
librarians, documentalists and researchers working on
European material." Here is the European
Commission Libraries Catalogue of bibliographical
references for hundreds of thousands of publications on
European affairs, but without document delivery or copy
Court of Human Rights-- "The only truly judicial
organ established by the European Convention on Human
Rights... [ensuring], in the last instance, that
contracting states observe their obligations under the
Convention... All of the Court's judgments, and a
significant selection of decisions and reports, are
published [online] in the HUDOC
• European Documentation Centre-- At
the University of Mannheim, part of a network set up by
the European Commission to offer "access to official
documents and publications of the EU institutions in
printed or electronic version." Much information about
the EU and many of its full-text electronic documents
are accessible on or through this site.
Union Institute for Security Studies-- An
autonomous agency of the European Union, this institute
conducts studies and posts them online, and offers a
newsletter about security issues of interest to the EU.
• Eurostat-- "Offers a comprehensive
range of printed and electronic publications and
datasets that, collectively, cover all areas of European
statistics, and at every level of detail." Many
statistics, guides, and analytical reports available
free online, as well as the Eurostat yearbook. See the
recent publications page. Statistics Explained presents "all
possible statistical topics in an easily understandable
way... [an] encyclopedia of European statistics,
completed by a statistical glossary clarifying all terms
used and by numerous links to further information and
the very latest data and metadata..."
Central Bank-- Chief financial institution of the
• European Commission Trade Site--
From the European Commission, much information on EU
• Fact Sheets on the European Union--
From the European Parliament, scores of
sheets "to provide those new to the subject with an
overview of the process of European integration and the
European Parliament’s role in this development... one of
the best sources of information about the Union’s
institutions and policies." Also note the Publications
section, with "studies and... brochures to provide more
detailed knowledge of aspects of the European Union's
• Open Data Portal-- "Managed by the Publications Office of the European Union... the single point of access to a growing range of data from the institutions and other bodies of the European Union (EU). Data are free for you to use and reuse for commercial or non-commercial purposes."
• Public Opinion Analysis-- From the
Public Opinion Analysis sector of the European
Commission, the searchable central site for EU public
opinion surveys, with results and data online, as well
as archives. Includes Standard Eurobarometer, Special
Eurobarometer, Candidate Countries Eurobarometer, Flash
Eurobarometer, and qualitative studies.
Office of the European Union-- The official
publishing house of the European Union "offers a number
of online services giving free access to information on
EU law, EU publications, EU public procurement, and EU
research and development," as well as to the Official Journal of the European
• Summaries of EU Legislation-- "Clear and concise summaries of EU legislation in all policy areas... [in] user-friendly fact sheets which summarise EU legislation... not only summaries of existing measures, but also a follow-up of legislative proposals."
• Archive of
European Integration-- From the Library System of
the University of Pittsburgh-- "an electronic repository
and archive for research materials on the topic of
European integration and unification. The AEI collects
two types of materials: certain types of
independently-produced research materials and official
European Community/European Union documents." Many
documents and research papers for free download.
• Centre for
European Policy Studies-- From Brussels, one of
Europe's leading think tanks, with the motto of
"Thinking ahead for Europe." Excellent and numerous
online publications, full-text and abstracts, and
commentary index, largely on the European Union.
for European Reform-- From London, "a think-tank
devoted to improving the quality of the debate on the
future of the European Union," pro-European cooperation
but with a critical eye to promote "new ideas and
policies for reforming the European Union."
Numerous publications online.
• Cicero Foundation-- Non-profit
Dutch organization and think tank that actively supports
the integration of the Central and Eastern European
countries into the EU. Lectures from seminars are
Polish-based EU-focused research organization for
pan-European and related global issues, such as changing
rationales for European policy, the globalization and
deglobalization processes, and the transformation of the
global socio-economic model, with publications on these
and other topics.
Centre-- "Independent information and expertise
resource for anyone interested in modern Russia, its
democratic status and the future of EU-Russia relations.
It seeks to promote closer ties between the EU and
Russia, to develop ideas about the future of the
relationship, and to ensure that both sides adhere to
international standards concerning the key elements of a
civil society..." Posts news, newsletters, and studies
about this topic.
Excellent collection of information resources related to
European integration on the Internet, including many
full text papers online. Serves as the World Wide Web
Virtual Library for European Integration.
• Europages-- Searchable European business directory that provides 2.3 million company addresses from 35 European countries, key business information, links to yellow pages throughout Europe and to world business sites.
Citizen Action Service-- NGO "independent of
political parties, commercial interests and the EU
Institutions. The association’s mission is to enable
NGOs and individuals to make their voice heard with the
EU." Site features news, documents, publications, and
more about EU citizenship and civil society, rights, and
Council on Foreign Relations-- "First pan-European
think tank... its objective is to conduct research and
promote informed debate across Europe on the development
of coherent and effective European values-based foreign
policy." Posts publications, podcasts, articles,
blogs, and the annual "European Foreign Policy
Scorecard," all about Europe's role in the world.
• European Institute-- From the London School of Economics and Political Science, an outstanding "primary focus for the inter-disciplinary study of processes of integration and fragmentation within Europe." Posts many papers in its priority areas of research: governance of the European Union, European ideas and identities, and European political economy. Note the useful Research Resources on Europe page.
• European Parliament Research Group--
From the London School of Economics and Political
Science, the website for scholars on the EU Parliament.
Posts papers, data, links to member scholars, and
Policy Centre-- Excellent innovative, society-wide
think-tank in Brussels for debate of European Union
policy issues, with many documents, studies, and
Policy Institutes Network-- "Network of dynamic
think tanks and policy institutes focusing on current EU
and European political and policy debates... with almost
40 member think tanks in 28 countries... EPIN aims to
contribute to the debate on the Future of Europe through
up to the minute, expert analysis and commentary and
through providing easy access to understanding the
different national debates." Many studies posted online.
• European Research Papers Archive-- Excellent site allows a broad database search of hundreds of online working papers about European integration, from many research centers.
• European Union Centers of Excellence-- Network of U.S. universities that "promotes the study of the EU, its institutions and policies and EU-US relations." Site "serves as a portal to the individual Center pages as well as an archive of outcomes and best practices contributed by the network members," posts "a number of resources of interest to college and K-12 educators, as well as business and academic professionals," and provides access to the valuable archive of the papers from the biennial conferences of the European Union Studies Association.
• European Union History Site-- From the History Department of Leiden University: "On this site you will find all sorts of information regarding the history of the European Union."
• European Union Studies Association-- "The premier scholarly and professional association, worldwide, focusing on the European Union," with "information on EUSA's programs and activities, such as the Forum essays from our quarterly EUSA Review, ideas and syllabi for teaching the EU, updates on our next international conference, an annotated list of valuable EU-related Web links, and more." Papers from the biennial conferences of the organization are available.
• European University Institute-- University consortium that provides "advanced academic training to doctoral researchers and... research at the highest level," with "a European perspective in economics, law, history and civilization, and political and social sciences." Many research products on EU affairs and related topics are available here, including through the search engine for the Cadmus database. Note the European Union Research Guide.
• European Values Study--
"Large-scale, cross-national, and longitudinal survey
research program on basic human values [in Europe],
[carried on by] the European Values Study group...
aimed at exploring the moral and social values
underlying European social and political institutions
and governing conduct." Site posts surveys and results,
newsletters, link to data, and more.
EU Foreign Policy-- From the Catholic University
of Leuven and the College of Europe, "this online
resource guide for researchers, practitioners and
students is a comprehensive guide through the maze of
information sources on EU foreign policy... This website
is a Jean Monnet Action and has received funding from
the European Community."
Trust-- From the UK, Europe's oldest think-tank on
European integration, focused on good governance and
"the interactions between regional, national, European
and global levels of government." Online studies.
• FRIDE-- "A European think tank for global action, which provides innovative thinking and rigorous analysis of key debates in international relations. Our mission is to inform policy and practice in order to ensure that the EU plays a more effective role in supporting multilateralism, democratic values, security, and sustainable development." Posts many studies on these topics.
• Jean Monnet Program-- At the
New York University School of Law, publishes online the
excellent Jean Monnet Working Papers on topics of
European integration, with many other online resources
also available at or through this site.
• Notre Europe-- With the slogan "Thinking a United Europe," this think tank "organises seminars and conferences, directs studies, consultations, and publications, launches information campaigns, and carries out other types of work of European interest in collaboration with institutions or press organisations." Online are many papers, seminar reports, debates, and sources of information off-site.
• Open Europe-- "Independent think tank, with offices in London and Brussels, which "believes that the EU must now embrace radical reform based on economic liberalisation, a looser and more flexible structure, and greater transparency and accountability if it is to overcome these [current] challenges and succeed in the twenty-first century."
• Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced
Studies-- From the European University Institute,
promotes research on the major issues confronting
European society, principally the construction of
Europe. Hundreds of first-rate studies are available
and Defence Agenda-- "The only think-tank in
Brussels focusing exclusively on defence and security
issues... gathering representatives from NATO and the
EU, national governments and parliaments, industry,
academia, think-tanks, NGOs and the media." Posts news,
studies, conference reports, and similar items.
• Statewatch-- From London, a non-profit group of "lawyers, academics, journalists, researchers and community activists" that "encourages the publication of investigative journalism and critical research in the fields of the state, civil liberties and openness" in the European Union and its members. News, bulletin, documents, and analytical papers online or linked.
• TEAM-- "Information
network linking 49 organisations, political parties and
non-parties, from 18 countries across Europe" that
oppose the European Union and what they believe are its
threats to democratic values.
European Policy Studies Association-- "The first
transeuropean research network, comprises leading
research institutes in the field of European affairs
throughout Europe,... [whose] aim is to provide high
quality research on European integration in order to
stimulate discussion on policies and political options
for Europe... by interaction between the European and
national institutions as well as the academic and
research community." Posts publications and a newsletter
on integration issues.
• Virtual Centre of Knowledge of Europe-- An "interdisciplinary centre dedicated to the European integration process," CVCE posts "a wide range of previously unpublished documents, oral accounts, contemporary film footage, analytical material and scholarly articles that document the European integration process."