Engines for French Language Sites
French Language Search Engines and Portals-- Abondance, Google France, Yahoo! France
Internet broadcasts in French are
accessible through the International Radio and Television
page of this WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs
• Bonjour de France-- "Un « cyber-magazine » éducatif gratuit contenant des exercices, des tests et des jeux pour apprendre le français ainsi que des fiches pédagogiques à l’attention des enseignants de français langue étrangère."
• ClicNet--Swarthmore College posts this site for
students and teachers of French, and all those interested
in French-language sources on the culture, art, and
literature of the francophone world.
• Documentation française-- "La
Documentation française est une direction d’administration
centrale des services du Premier ministre, placée sous
l’autorité du Secrétaire général du Gouvernement... exerce
une mission de service public en matière d’information
générale sur l’actualité politique, administrative,
économique et sociale française, étrangère et
with audio (beginners to intermediate level), French
proverbs and sayings, French slang and idioms as well as a
2-way dictionary," plus flashcards and French songs.
Interactif!-- Online French course "developed at the
University of Texas at Austin in the Department of French
and Italian. A result of over ten years of collaboration
between academic and technical professionals..."
• French Answers--
Informative, lively, and wide-ranging site about the French
language and all things French.
• Free Language Tutorials: French-- "Online grammar lessons, vocabulary lists, as well as a glossary of useful words and phrases [for] basic or intermediate French."
• French Courses-- From the Open
Learning Initiative at Carnegie Mellon University,
Elementary French I and II, free online "carefully
sequenced and highly interactive presentation of French
language and culture in a media-rich course environment
including new video shot in France and Quebec with young
• French Language-- About.com's
colorful and helpful guide to things French.
• French Language Guide-- French language facts, culture, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, tests, and more.
• French Resources-- From Schoolshape, many interactive audio and visual exercises for various levels of proficiency, in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Mostly free and created by teachers. Visitors can also create their own resources and share them with others.
• H-France Discussion Network-- "Provides an electronic [scholarly] forum
covering all aspects of the history and culture of the
Francophone world [and] offers a repository of resources
and links which historians and students of French history
and culture may find useful."
French Lab-- Contains audio and video lessons,
printable flashcards, grammar help, pronunciation guide,
basic phrases for beginners, and more. Plentiful and
helpful resources by a native French teacher.
• Learn a Language: French-- From Visual Link Languages, "created by the U.S. Institute of Languages... to help people bridge communication gaps and to give back to the world in which we live." Includes vocabulary, phrases, dictionary, cultural notes, blog, and forum.
• Ressources Internet Francophones--
From Professor Thomas C. Spear of the French Department at
Lehman College, City University of New York, a
wide-ranging directory of key websites in the French
• Tennessee Bob's Famous French Links-- A "10,000-link Globe-Gate Supersite" Web
directory from the University of Tennessee.
• TypeIt.org-- "This page allows you
to easily type French accents and other French characters
without a French keyboard. You can edit your text in the
box and then copy it to your document, e-mail message,