• Culturelink Network-- The network of
networks for research and cooperation in cultural
development, established by UNESCO and the Council of
Europe. Note the Culturelink Review and databases.
inspire business travelers to travel with greater cultural
awareness," explanations of business cultures and
practices, protocol, and cross-cultural tips for major
trading nations around the world.
Global Perspectives and Globalization
• Centre for the Study of Globalisation
and Regionalisation-- At the University of Warwick,
England, "the largest academic centre in Europe dealing
with this subject area," focusing on "issues of the
definition, measurement, impacts, and policy implications
of globalisation and regionalisation." Site posts
discussion and working papers, and the CSGR Globalization
Index, which "measures the economic, social and political
dimensions of globalisation for countries on an annual
basis over the period 1982 to 2004, and combines these
into an overall globalisation index, or score."
Globalization-- From the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
(non-profit German institution committed to the principles
of social democracy), this site presents hundreds of free
publications online, ranging from short briefing papers to
in-depth studies, many from authors in the Global South.
The site also provides information on the agenda-setting
of important global conferences and discusses their
• Global Governance Watch-- "Joint
project of the American Enterprise Institute and the
Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies... to
raise awareness of the growing global governance movement
and to address issues of transparency and accountability
at the United Nations, in NGOs, and related international
organizations. In particular, the project monitors issues
of national sovereignty and the ways in which the agendas
of international organizations influence domestic
and comprehensive daily online magazine about the global
economy, politics and culture that "provides a daily
account of key issues before the global community," with
news, features, quizzes, and information on many facets of
Policy Institute-- From Washington, D.C, "analysis,
development, and evaluation of migration and refugee
policies at local, national, and international levels...
to meet the demand for pragmatic and thoughtful responses
to the challenges and opportunities that large-scale
migration, whether voluntary or forced, presents to
communities and institutions in an increasingly integrated
world." Note the MPI
Europe website and the online journal Migration
Global Attitudes Project-- From the Pew
Research Center, an excellent "series of worldwide
public opinion surveys that encompasses a broad array of
subjects ranging from people's assessments of their own
lives to their views about the current state of the
world and important issues of the day." Note the Foreign
Affairs and Policy page and the Global Indicators Database, which
allows users to find poll results on diverse topics in
the scores of countries where Pew has done surveys.
• Population Reference Bureau--
Excellent for authoritative data and analysis on world,
regional, and national population and demographics trends.
large multimedia repository. Note their Annual
Report and their annual World Population Data
Sheet for "up-to-date demographic, health, and
environment data for all the countries and major regions
of the world." Search for data and analysis by topic,
region, or country. The handy DataFinder has comparable data on
well over 100 population, health, and environment
variables for over 200 countries, 29 world regions and
sub-regions, and the world as a whole and allows
• United Nations Population Fund--
"World's largest international source of funding for
population and reproductive health programmes." This U.N.
site provides much information, news, and analysis on
world population issues, including the excellent annual State
of World Population report, free online.
• United States Census Bureau's
International Data Base--
A rich computerized data bank containing statistical
tables of past, present, and projected demographic and
socio-economic data for most countries and all areas of
the world. Check the International Programs section.
• World Economic Outlook-- "Presents IMF staff economists' analyses of global economic developments during the near and medium term. Chapters give an overview of the world economy; consider issues affecting industrial countries, developing countries, and economies in transition to market; and address topics of pressing current interest." Also note the World Economic Outlook Databases.
• WorldPublicOpinion.org-- "Provides information and analysis about public opinion on international policy issues from around the world. While the studies of [our own] network figure prominently, the website draws together data from a wide variety of sources from around the world." From the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, posts excellent international public opinion polls.
• YaleGlobal Online-- This excellent comprehensive web journal features many articles, lectures, news items, and links about globalization in its diverse aspects and effects. From the Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale University.