• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-- An agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which covers some key world health topics. See their Travelers' Health section for information and advice on health conditions around the world and the Yellow Book, "published every two years by CDC as a reference for those who advise international travelers of health risks."
• Demographic and Health Surveys Program (DHS)-- "Has provided technical assistance to more than 300 surveys in over 90 countries, advancing global understanding of health and population trends in developing countries.... to improve and institutionalize the collection and use of data by host countries for program monitoring and evaluation and for policy development decisions." Posts a large publications database, country and topical data, and data from the surveys, with several user-generated online comparison facilities.
• European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies-- National and IGO partnership to support and promote "evidence-based health policy-making through comprehensive and rigorous analysis of the dynamics of health care systems in Europe." Posts country information and profiles, research products, newsletters, and more.
Health-- Very useful site from the Office of
Global Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services, with information and analysis about
global health issues, national profiles, speeches, and
pointers to fact sheets, statistics, reports, and
guides to similar information from other U.S. and
Health Governance-- From the Center for Global
Health Studies of the Whitehead School of Diplomacy
and International Relations, Seton Hall University,
"an open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that
provides a platform for academics and practitioners to
explore global health issues and their implications to
governance and security at national and international
• Global Health Guide-- From Eldis, a world class directory and gateway to electronic information resources on development, this resource guide "aims to provide access to relevant, diverse and credible research on global health in developing countries... around issues such as: social determinants of health; health systems; infectious diseases; NCDs; HIV and Aids; injury and violence; maternal, newborn and child health; and nutrition."
• Globalization and Health--
Affiliated with the London School of Economics, an
"open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that
provides an international forum for high quality
original research, knowledge sharing and debate on the
topic of globalization and its effects on health, both
positive and negative."
• Health-- From the World Bank, a rich practical resource for global health issues and statistics. Posts news, journals, reports, program information, country data, and more.
Map-- Global disease alert map that "brings
together disparate data sources to achieve a unified
and comprehensive view of the current global state of
infectious diseases and their effect on human and
animal health... the data is aggregated by disease and
displayed by location for user-friendly access to the
original alert... provides a jumping-off point for
real-time information on emerging infectious diseases
and has particular interest for public health
officials and international travelers."
• Pan American Health Organization-- Provides information, analysis, data, and statistics on health in the Americas.
• UNAIDS-- From the Joint United
Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, online information and
reports on HIV/AIDS worldwide.
• United Nations Population Fund-- "World's largest international source of funding for population and reproductive health programmes." This U.N. site provides much information, news, and analysis on world population and health issues, including the annual State of World Population report, free online.
• World Health Organization-- Very wide range of information from this U.N.-related body, with many user-customizable features. Note especially the Library and the Bulletin of the WHO, as well as the annual World Health Reports and World Health Statistics Reports. The Global Health Observatory offers "data and analyses on global health priorities. Each theme page provides information on global situation and trends highlights, using core indicators, database views, major publications and links to relevant web pages on the theme." The Media Centre provides the latest information. Disease Outbreak News offers the latest news and reports on communicable disease surveillance and response around the world. The International Travel and Health report "provides information on the main health risks for travellers." There is also a Tropical Diseases section.