• Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention-- An agency of the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services, which covers some key world
health topics. See their Travelers'
Health section for information and advice on
health conditions around the world and the Yellow
Book, "published every two years by CDC as a reference
for those who advise international travelers of health
• Demographic and
Health Surveys (Measure DHS)-- This program of the
U.S. Agency for International Development "has
collected, analyzed, and disseminated accurate and
representative data on population, health, HIV, and
nutrition through more than 300 surveys in over 90
countries." Site posts survey datasets, statistical data
and analyses, methodologies, curriculum, publications,
• European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies-- National and IGO partnership to support and promote "evidence-based health policy-making through comprehensive and rigorous analysis of the dynamics of health care systems in Europe." Posts country information and profiles, research products, newsletters, and more.
Health-- Very useful site from the Office of
Global Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services, with information and analysis about
global health issues, national profiles, speeches, and
pointers to fact sheets, statistics, reports, and
guides to similar information from other U.S. and
Health Governance-- From the Center for Global
Health Studies of the Whitehead School of Diplomacy
and International Relations, Seton Hall University,
"an open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that
provides a platform for academics and practitioners to
explore global health issues and their implications to
governance and security at national and international
• Globalization and Health-- Affiliated with the London School of Economics, an "open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that provides an international forum for high quality original research, knowledge sharing and debate on the topic of globalization and its effects on health, both positive and negative."
• Health-- From Eldis, a world
class directory and gateway to electronic information
resources on development, this resource guide "aims
to provide access to relevant, diverse and credible
research on health challenges in developing countries...
issues such as: infectious diseases; NCDs; injury and
violence; maternal, newborn and child health; and
nutrition." Also see Eldis' Health
Systems resource guide.
Map-- Global disease alert map that "brings
together disparate data sources to achieve a unified
and comprehensive view of the current global state of
infectious diseases and their effect on human and
animal health... the data is aggregated by disease and
displayed by location for user-friendly access to the
original alert... provides a jumping-off point for
real-time information on emerging infectious diseases
and has particular interest for public health
officials and international travelers."
• Health, Nutrition & Population--
From the World Bank, a rich practical resource to
"assist clients to improve health, nutrition, and
population outcomes of poor people and protect people
from the impoverishing effects of illness,
malnutrition, and high fertility." Posts news,
journals, reports, program information, country data,
Global Health-- From the Kaiser Family
Foundation, "original policy analysis and research
from the Foundation... daily news synthesis, Daily
Global Health Policy Report, tracks legislation
through a new Policy Tracker, and features fact
sheets, country-level data through Kaiser's Global
Health Facts, and more."
• Pan American Health Organization-- Provides information, analysis, data, and statistics on health in the Americas.
• UNAIDS-- From the Joint United
Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, online information and
reports on HIV/AIDS worldwide.
• United Nations Population Fund--
"World's largest international source of funding for
population and reproductive health programmes." This
U.N. site provides much information, news, and
analysis on world population and health issues,
including the annual State
of World Population report, free online.
• World Health News-- From the Center for Health Communication of the Harvard School of Public Health, a report that "covers critical public health issues from around the world," with archives.
• World Health Organization-- Very
wide range of information from this U.N.-related body,
with many user-customizable features. Note especially
the Library, the Bulletin of the WHO, and the Data and Statistics sections, as
well as the annual World
Health Reports and World Health Statistics Reports.
The WHO Statistical Information System
is "the guide to health and health-related
epidemiological and statistical information available
from the World Health Organization." The Global InfoBase "collects,
stores and displays information on chronic diseases
and their risk factors for all WHO member states." The
Media Centre provides the latest
information. Disease Outbreak News offers the
latest news and reports on communicable disease
surveillance and response around the world. The International
and Health report "provides information on the
main health risks for travellers." There is also a Tropical