• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-- An agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which covers some key world health topics. See their Travelers' Health section for information and advice on health conditions around the world and the Yellow Book, "published every two years by CDC as a reference for those who advise international travelers of health risks."
• Demographic and
Health Surveys (Measure DHS)-- This program of the
U.S. Agency for International Development "has
collected, analyzed, and disseminated accurate and
representative data on population, health, HIV, and
nutrition through more than 300 surveys in over 90
countries." Site posts survey datasets, statistical data
and analyses, methodologies, curriculum, publications,
• European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies-- National and IGO partnership to support and promote "evidence-based health policy-making through comprehensive and rigorous analysis of the dynamics of health care systems in Europe." Posts country information and profiles, research products, newsletters, and more.
Health-- Very useful site from the Office of
Global Health Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services, with information and analysis about
global health issues, national profiles, speeches, and
pointers to fact sheets, statistics, reports, and
guides to similar information from other U.S. and
Health Governance-- From the Center for Global
Health Studies of the Whitehead School of Diplomacy
and International Relations, Seton Hall University,
"an open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that
provides a platform for academics and practitioners to
explore global health issues and their implications to
governance and security at national and international
• Global Health Guide-- From Eldis, a world class directory and gateway to electronic information resources on development, this resource guide "aims to provide access to relevant, diverse and credible research on global health in developing countries... around issues such as: social determinants of health; health systems; infectious diseases; NCDs; HIV and Aids; injury and violence; maternal, newborn and child health; and nutrition." Also see Eldis' Health Systems resource guide.
• Globalization and Health--
Affiliated with the London School of Economics, an
"open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that
provides an international forum for high quality
original research, knowledge sharing and debate on the
topic of globalization and its effects on health, both
positive and negative."
• Health-- From the World Bank, a rich practical resource for global health issues and statistics. Posts news, journals, reports, program information, country data, and more.
Map-- Global disease alert map that "brings
together disparate data sources to achieve a unified
and comprehensive view of the current global state of
infectious diseases and their effect on human and
animal health... the data is aggregated by disease and
displayed by location for user-friendly access to the
original alert... provides a jumping-off point for
real-time information on emerging infectious diseases
and has particular interest for public health
officials and international travelers."
Global Health-- From the Kaiser Family
Foundation, "original policy analysis and research
from the Foundation... daily news synthesis, Daily
Global Health Policy Report, tracks legislation
through a new Policy Tracker, and features fact
sheets, country-level data through Kaiser's Global
Health Facts, and more."
• Pan American Health Organization-- Provides information, analysis, data, and statistics on health in the Americas.
• UNAIDS-- From the Joint United
Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, online information and
reports on HIV/AIDS worldwide.
• United Nations Population Fund--
"World's largest international source of funding for
population and reproductive health programmes." This
U.N. site provides much information, news, and
analysis on world population and health issues,
including the annual State
of World Population report, free online.
• World Health News-- From the Center for Health Communication of the Harvard School of Public Health, a report that "covers critical public health issues from around the world," with archives.
• World Health Organization-- Very wide range of information from this U.N.-related body, with many user-customizable features. Note especially the Library, the Bulletin of the WHO, and the Data and Statistics sections, as well as the annual World Health Reports and World Health Statistics Reports. The Global Health Observatory offers "data and analyses on global health priorities. Each theme page provides information on global situation and trends highlights, using core indicators, database views, major publications and links to relevant web pages on the theme." The Media Centre provides the latest information. Disease Outbreak News offers the latest news and reports on communicable disease surveillance and response around the world. The International Travel and Health report "provides information on the main health risks for travellers." There is also a Tropical Diseases section.