• AMARC Home Page-- Site of the
World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters,
with information on community radio available in
English, French, and Spanish.
• Amnesty International-- One of
the world's largest international voluntary
organizations dealing with human rights and political
repression. The Annual Report is available
online, in addition to other studies and news reports.
19: the Global Campaign for Free Expression--
From a British NGO that promotes freedom of expression
around the world, information about the group's
activities and many studies on the status of freedom
of expression, particularly in the mass media and in
dictatorships and new democracies.
• Asia Media-- From Loyola
Marymount University in Los Angeles, this news site with scholarly standards
is dedicated to "the examination of Asian countries
through the lens of their distinct media systems."
• Committee to Protect Journalists-- Nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that monitors abuses against the press and promotes press freedom around the world. Copious news alerts, documentation, special reports, country reports, database, and denunciations, plus the annual Impunity Index, which "spotlights countries where journalists are slain and killers go free."
• Communication for Development--
From the Natural Resources Management and Environment
Department of the UN's Food and Agricultural
Organization, "communication processes and media to
help rural people to exchange experiences, find common
ground for collaboration and actively participate in
and manage agricultural and rural development
activities." Site contains resources on this topic.
• European Journalism Centre--
"Independent, international, non-profit institute
dedicated to the highest standards in journalism,
primarily through the further training of journalists
and media professionals. Building on its extensive
international network, the Centre operates as a
facilitator and partner in a wide variety of training
projects." Fine source for information and analysis
about journalism in Europe.
House-- Many online
studies ranking countries on measures of freedom, such
as the annual "Freedom of the Press," the annual
"Freedom in the World," informative backgrounders and
other publications, are offered by this nonprofit,
nonpartisan U.S. organization dedicated to promoting
democracy around the world.
site is a one-stop portal that describes best
practices, consolidates lessons learned, explains
campaign strategies and tactics, and links the efforts
of freedom of information advocates around the world.
It contains crucial information on freedom of
information laws and how they were drafted and
implemented, including how various provisions have
worked in practice."
• Global Journalist-- From the
School of Journalism of the University of Missouri,
the International Press Institute's fine quarterly
magazine on international media and freedom of
expression issues around the world, in full-text with
archives and sound files from the radio program
"Global Journalist Radio."
• Human Rights Watch-- Dedicated
to protecting the human rights of people around the
world, by investigating and exposing human rights
violations and holding abusers accountable. Many
• Index on Censorship-- "Britain’s leading organisation promoting freedom of expression," reporting on censorship issues around the world.
• Institute for War and Peace Reporting-- "From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, IWPR helps people in the world's most challenging environments have the information they need to drive positive changes in their lives — holding government to account, demanding constructive solutions, strengthening civil society and securing human rights." Posts news, analysis, reports, local media programs, and more from conflict zones in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Press Association-- Prestigious "non-profit
organization dedicated to defending freedom of
expression and of the press throughout the Americas."
Reports, press releases, and news on press freedom in
the countries of the Western Hemisphere and related
• International Communication
Association-- The ICA brings together
academicians and other professionals with interests in
human communication, through divisions and interest
groups on intercultural and development communication.
• International Federation of
Journalists-- The world's largest organization
of journalists, based in Brussels, Belgium, with
publications, activities, news items, etc. online.
• International Freedom of Expression
Exchange-- Network of 90 non-governmental
organizations around the world that monitors free
expression and press freedom violations in more than
120 countries. Offers alerts to freedom of expression
violations worldwide in a searchable archive, news
stories, e-mail alerts, and more.
Safety Institute-- Based in Brussels, a
"non-governmental organisation dedicated to the safety
of journalists and media staff and committed to
fighting the persecution of journalists everywhere...
a coalition of media organisations, press freedom
groups, unions and humanitarian campaigners working to
create a culture of safety in media in all corners of
the world." Posts news, statistics, and reports on
Institute-- "Global network of journalists,
editors and media executives, dedicated to freedom of
the press and improving the standards and practices of
journalism." Posts world news related to freedom of
the press, IPI public statements and conferences,
special reports, and the annual "IPI Report"
that examines the state of the media around the world.
• International Telecommunication
Union-- The international organization within
which governments and the private sector coordinate
global telecommunication networks and services.
• International Women’s Media
Foundation-- "Vibrant global network dedicated
to strengthening the role of women in the news media
worldwide as a means to further freedom of the press."
Posts news, blogs, annual reports, and other
publications about women in the media worldwide, as
part of its networking, leadership, training, and
an "international non-profit organization that
supports open media worldwide," news, analysis, and
support of media freedom and government-media
relations around the world, and especially in new
democracies. Seeks to "empower local media worldwide
to give people the news and information they need, the
ability to connect, and the means to make their voices
• Knight Center for Journalism in the
Americas-- At the University of Texas at
Austin, this Center posts news and analysis on
journalism in Latin America and the Caribbean and
offers a weekly newsletter.
• National Press Club-- In Washington, D.C., a "private association of members of the journalism and public relations community" and "the world's leading professional organization for journalists." Posts videos of luncheon speakers and other materials about current issues.
• Newspapers Canada-- "Joint initiative of the Canadian Newspaper Association and the Canadian Community Newspapers Association," provides a search facility for finding articles in Canadian newspapers and posts information and items about news and the news business in Canada.
• Panos London-- An NGO in London
that "works with journalists in developing countries
to produce news, features and analysis about the most
critical global issues of today." Website describes
Panos' activist mission and provides free online
analytical news articles and reports about issues of
interest to developing countries.
• Reporters Without Borders-- A
prestigious and well-connected NGO that vigorously
defends press freedom worldwide, with online
information about press freedom worldwide, based on
scores of measures. Note especially the annual "World
Press Freedom Index."
• State of the News Media-- Annual report on the situation of the news media in the United States, by media type and featuring special reports, from the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism.
• World Association of
Newspapers and News Publishers-- "Global
organisation of the world’s press... the indispensable
partner of newspapers and the entire news publishing
industry worldwide, particularly our members, in the
defence and promotion of press freedom, quality
journalism and editorial integrity and the development
of prosperous businesses and technology." Many
publications on trends and issues in international
news and the news business.
• World Press Freedom Committee-- "Has provided leadership for more than 30 years in the fight against licensing of journalists, mandatory codes of conduct, mandatory tasks for journalists and other news controls." Posts WPFC publications and documents and news about press freedom issues worldwide.