Engine for International Relations and Foreign
Google Scholar-- "Enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research...to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web." Many international affairs sources are included.
Selected International Relations and Foreign Policy Journals and Magazines
(Only those with significant
cost-free content online)
• American Diplomacy-- A free,
quarterly "electronic journal of commentary, analysis,
and research on American foreign policy and its
practice," run largely by retired U.S. diplomats, from
the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with
• Arms Control Today-- From the
Arms Control Association, a national nonpartisan
membership organization dedicated to promoting public
understanding of and support for effective arms
control policies. Full-text online and back issues.
of the Atomic Scientists-- Online articles about
nuclear and arms-control issues, from the Educational
Foundation for Nuclear Science.
• Diplomat-- "Foreign affairs magazine that provokes intelligent discussion from the heart of the diplomatic community in London... [with a] mix of high quality analysis, political commentary on world affairs and interviews with ambassadors [that] make it essential reading for the diplomatic community and those working in foreign affairs."
• e-International Relations-- "The world's leading website for students and scholars of international politics," maintained by a volunteer editorial team. Dynamic and insightful commentary on the full range of global and regional topics, with thoughtful discussion and exchange around articles, essays, features, blogs, and book reviews.
"Canada's Foreign Policy Newspaper" about "Canadian
foreign policy, how foreign policy and international
issues affect Canadian domestic politics, and the key
players who conduct business for Canada on the
• Ethics & Global Politics-- From Co-Action Publishing, "peer-reviewed international Open Access journal whose aim is to foster theoretical contributions to the study of global politics... novel ways of understanding and conceptualizing the political challenges the world faces today, for instance in relation to global institutional arrangements, environmental protection, policy development, poverty, technology and knowledge, future generations, and migration."
• Fletcher Forum of World Affairs-- "The student-managed foreign policy journal at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy... provides a broad, interdisciplinary platform for analysis of legal, political, economic, environmental, and diplomatic issues in international affairs... [the] website hosts online-only articles by a wider range of authors and allows authors and readers to engage in dialogue through comments on articles."
• Foreign Affairs-- The highly
prestigious scholarly journal from the Council on
Foreign Relations, New York City. Contents and some
full-text articles and book reviews online, with
archive, plus links to related online resources.
Policy-- "Vibrant, daily online magazine of
global politics, economics, and ideas" posts articles,
web exclusive stories, numerous insightful special
reports, popular blogs, and news, from the Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace. Note especially the
much-commented Terrorism Index and Failed States
• Foreign Service Journal-- From the American Foreign Service Association, "foreign affairs from an insider's perspective," including Foreign Service officers, ranking academics, and diplomatic correspondents. Contents and some articles online, plus online archive. AFSA is the professional association of the United States Foreign Service.
• Georgetown Journal of International Affairs-- "The official semi-annual publication of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University." Website posts selected popular articles from the print journal, plus blogs and other features with "rigorous research and opinions on a wide range of topics in foreign policy."
• Global Politics-- "Provides a forum where politically interested individuals, journalists, academics, international relations professionals and the next generation of global policy makers can exchange insights, debate viewpoints, and develop new approaches."
Comprehensive daily online magazine about the global
economy, politics and culture that "provides a daily
account of key issues before the global community,"
with news, features, and information on many facets of
• Harvard International Review--
Some full-text articles and features online from this
prestigious magazine from the Harvard International
Affairs Forum-- Web journal from the Center for
International Relations, "a nonprofit, tax exempt
organization based in the Washington, D.C. area
unaffiliated with any group or ideology... devoted to
the independent exchange of international affairs,
intelligence and economics views and information."
• International Policy Digest-- "International Policy Digest's express intent has been to discuss global events in a platform designed for individuals living in the new social environment... based in the United States, our goal is to address domestic events from politics or the media that impact the international system."
• Journal of Democracy-- "The world's leading publication on the theory and practice of democracy. Since its first appearance in 1990, it has engaged both activists and intellectuals in critical discussions of the problems of and prospects for democracy around the world." Site posts selected articles from the current issue.
National Interest-- Pays particular attention to
ideas, and the way in which cultural and social
differences, technological innovations, history, and
religion affect the behavior of states. Contents and
some articles online.
• New Internationalist-- Magazine
focusing on issues of world poverty and inequality,
and committed to the radical changes so that the basic
material and spiritual needs of all can be met.
• Open Democracy-- An eclectic "digital commons" rather than a magazine per se, free-thinking, socially-committed, pro-democracy, peacemaking, and conciliation, "a pluralist, high quality online space free and open to all - covering world affairs, ideas and culture."
• Parameters-- Journal of the U.S. Army War College, on "the art and science of land warfare, joint and combined matters, national and international security affairs, military strategy, military leadership and management, military history, military ethics, and other topics of significant and current interest to the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense." Full-text online, site search, archives.
• Peace and Conflict Review-- From the United Nations University for Peace, "a peer-reviewed, open-access journal dedicated to the publication of high quality academic articles in the field of peace and conflict studies."
on Terrorism-- From the Terrorism Research
Initiative, "seeks to provide a unique platform for
established and emerging scholars to present their
perspectives on the developing field of terrorism
studies and scholarship; to present original research
and analysis; and to provide a forum for discourse and
commentary on related issues." Posts all articles
• RAND Review-- Flagship magazine
of the RAND Corporation, "showcases RAND research on a
variety of timely and relevant issues facing the world
today," featuring many international affairs topics.
in Global Affairs-- Fine quarterly journal, with
full contents online, "the foremost reading for those
who demand a competent outlook on Russia’s stand on
vital international issues... from a global
perspective... The contributing authors comprise the
most prominent Russian and foreign policymakers and
experts in government, business and academia..."
• Science & Diplomacy-- From the American Association for the Advancement of Science, "a forum for rigorous thought, analysis, and insight to serve stakeholders who develop, implement, or teach all aspects of science and diplomacy. The online quarterly features a mix of original perspectives and research articles by science and diplomacy practitioners and thinkers from U.S. and international perspectives..."
From the American University in Moscow, an online
magazine "dedicated to the current state of
U.S.-Russia relations. Our mission is to generate new
ideas for U.S. - Russia rapprochement to jointly meet
the world's enormous security, economic, ecological,
and other challenges."
• Wilson Quarterly-- "Surveying the world of ideas," the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars of the Smithsonian Institution posts the full text of articles from the current edition of this quarterly periodical, which often includes international themes.
• World Affairs Journal-- From the World Affairs Institute, "this site highlights news, opinion, and research from media, governments, and think tanks around the world... In addition to extensive news aggregation,...[it] features blogs by leading opinion makers and commentators from the US" and elsewhere.
• World Policy Journal-- From the World Policy Institute at New School University, focusing on cultural and economic factors in international affairs, and the requirements for a civil society. Contents and some articles online, plus back issues and lectures viewable online.
• World Politics Review-- "Provides uncompromising analysis of critical global trends to give policymakers, businesspeople and academics the context they need to have the confidence they want... comprehensive and detailed perspectives that are as valuable as they are uncommon." Subscription site with substantial cost-free content.
Press-- "Nonpartisan magazine whose mission is
to foster the international exchange of perspectives
and information. It contains articles reprinted from
the press outside the United States, as well as
originally written material."
• World Today-- Current issue
(only) is offered without cost by Chatham House, the
UK's foremost, world-class institute for international
affairs research--"presents authoritative analysis on
a variety of current topics in each monthly issue...
vital background for experts, business planners,
academics and those curious about the world we live
• YaleGlobal Online-- This excellent comprehensive web journal features many articles, lectures, news items, and links about globalization in its diverse aspects and effects. From the Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale University.