Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations-- "Independent, international, non-profit membership association of non-governmental organizations. It facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and decision-making... to ensure that NGO voices be heard throughout the international arena."
Google Custom Non-governmental Organizations Search Engine-- Searches are limited to contents of major NGO websites.
Idealist-- Global clearinghouse of nonprofit and volunteering resources, listing thousands of nonprofit and community organizations in scores of countries, searchable by name, location or mission, with much information on job, internship, and volunteer opportunities.
NGO Branch, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs-- Provides lists of the thousands of NGOs that work in consultation with the UN's Economic and Social Council and of other NGOs that work with the UN in other capacities, as well as information about UN activities that are of interest to NGOs.
NGO Research Guide-- From Duke University Libraries, a multi-part guide to NGOs and their work that includes a directory of hundreds of NGOs that "primarily reflects the research interests of Duke researchers and students."
One World-- "Online media gateway for independently produced news on a host of issues that impact people worldwide... both a search engine and online community for organizations and individuals seeking in-depth information or guidance on how to become involved in addressing challenges facing people worldwide."
UN and Civil Society-- Information about the UN's Non-Governmental Liaison Service and a directory of the thousands of NGOs and other civil society organizations affiliated as partners with the UN in national and global issues.
Union of International Associations-- A large master index with a wealth of information about intergovernmental and nongovernmental organizations, by the Brussels group responsible for tracking them. You can search for specific IGOs and NGOs through the Yearbook of International Organizations.
World Association of Non-Governmental Organizations-- "International organization uniting NGOs worldwide in the cause of advancing peace and global well being... helps to provide the mechanism and support needed for NGOs to connect, partner, share, inspire, and multiply their contributions to solve humanity’s basic problems." Note the searchable Worldwide NGO Directory.
• Administration and Cost of Elections (ACE) Project.-- "Your portal to the world of elections... [ACE] promotes credible, and transparent electoral processes with emphasis on sustainability, professionalism and trust in the electoral process [and] offers a wide range of services related to electoral knowledge, assistance and capacity development." Really fine "online knowledge repository that provides comprehensive information and customized advice on electoral processes," including a huge Encyclopedia of Elections.
• Amnesty International-- The
foremost NGO in the protection of human rights
worldwide. Many publications online.
• Bretton Woods Project-- NGO that
works to monitor and reform the World Bank and IMF,
tracking key policy statements and reports, and
providing critiques and early warnings used by NGOs
across the world. Issues analysis, glossary,
briefings, reports, newsletter, links.
dedicated to "the rapidly growing world of social
entrepreneurship. Its mission is to provide
inspiration, resources, and opportunities for those
interested in social change throughout the world."
Features journal, library, viewpoints, multimedia, and
creative resourcing sections.
• Global Governance Watch-- "Joint
project of the American Enterprise Institute and the
Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy
Studies... to raise awareness of the growing global
governance movement and to address issues of
transparency and accountability at the United Nations,
in NGOs, and related international organizations. In
particular, the project monitors issues of national
sovereignty and the ways in which the agendas of
international organizations influence domestic
• Institute for Cultural Diplomacy--
"With headquarters in the United States and Germany...
one of Europe's leading organisations in the field of
cultural exchange... [whose] research and programmes
in the area of cultural communication and
rapprochement offer viable alternatives to enhance
traditional diplomatic policy." Posts information,
studies, and opportunities for "inter- and intra-
cultural dialogue between different cultures."
• InterAction-- The American Council for Voluntary
International Action is a coalition of more than 180
U.S.-based nonprofit organizations working worldwide.
This site links to many other international sites, and
has press releases, situation reports on hot spots,
archives of the magazine Monday Developments,
and updates on legislative issues that impact
international development and humanitarian work.
• International Foundation for
Private, nonprofit U.S. organization supporting
electoral and other democratic institutions in
emerging, evolving, and experienced democracies--"one
of the world's premier democracy and governance
assistance organizations." Excellent electoral
information and analysis. See the Election
Guide for election news and analysis worldwide.
• International Institute for
Democracy and Electoral Assistance-- Aims to promote and advance
sustainable democracy, improve and consolidate
electoral processes world-wide, and provide a forum
for discussions and action among individuals and
organizations involved in democracy promotion. This
excellent site from Sweden offers news, analyses, and
databases. Note especially Democracy
and Gender and the Voter
• International Trade Union
Confederation-- "The ITUC’s primary mission is
the promotion and defence of workers’ rights and
interests, through international cooperation between
trade unions, global campaigning and advocacy within
the major global institutions." Posts news and
analysis of a wide variety of labor-related issues
around the world and the Annual Survey of
Violations of Trade Union Rights.
• Population Reference Bureau-- Excellent for authoritative data and analysis on world, regional, and national population and demographics trends. Features a large multimedia repository. Note their Annual Report and their annual World Population Data Sheet for "up-to-date demographic, health, and environment data for all the countries and major regions of the world." Search for data and analysis by topic, region, or country. The handy DataFinder has comparable data on well over 100 population, health, and environment variables for over 200 countries, 29 world regions and sub-regions, and the world as a whole and allows user-created tables. The quarterly Population Bulletins on selected topics are very useful.