Engines for Spanish Language Sites
Search Engine Colossus and Search Engine Guide are
comprehensive global master directories of local search
engines for regional, country, or language-specific
searches. Google Translate is a useful option.
allows you to search for language and country-specific
content in "top results from Google, Yahoo and Bing as
well as the most popular search engines for the selected
Internet broadcasts in Spanish are accessible through the International Radio and Television page of this WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources.
Miguel de Cervantes-- "La Biblioteca de las culturas
hispánicas." Major virtual library of
Spanish-language classic works of literature available
free online, with commentary and analysis of the authors
and their works, supported by many Spanish and foreign
entities. Also has a collection of links to academic
centers, digitalization projects, libraries, publishers,
and bookstores, especially of the Spanish-speaking world,
• Bitácoras-- "La mayor red social
para bloggers existente en español con más que 250.000
usuarios a los que ofrecemos multitud de recursos y
servicios gratuitos. El sistema recoge la información de
miles de bitácoras y la organiza, cataloga y distribuye en
tiempo real convirtiéndose en un instrumento fundamental
para conocer lo que ocurre en la blogosfera hispana."
• Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish-- "A video instructional series in Spanish for college and high school classrooms and adult learners; 52 half-hour video programs, audiocassettes, music CD, video and audio scripts, and coordinated books." Produced by WGBH Boston. Entire series is viewable online with free registration.
• DramaFever Latino-- "The only legal video platform with free subtitled Latin American and Spanish telenovelas in the US, [with] a great collection of titles." A fine place to practice Spanish, available for many platforms and in HD for subscribers.
• E-Spanish-- This free educational site includes online grammar tests, interactive vocabulary practice, games, song lyrics, audio with transcripts, a database of several hundred Spanish-language web links, and more.
• Free Language Tutorials: Spanish-- "Online lessons, vocabulary lists, useful phrases, a glossary, [audio], as well as free printable worksheets... perfect for those learning basic or intermediate Spanish."
• Learn a Language: Spanish-- From Visual Link Languages, "created by the U.S. Institute of Languages... to help people bridge communication gaps and to give back to the world in which we live." Includes vocabulary, phrases, dictionary, cultural notes, blog, and forum.
• Learn Spanish Feel Good-- Over 100
free quizzes on various aspects of Spanish grammar (for
beginning and intermediate levels), image and topic-based
vocabulary quizzes, advanced vocabulary-training
exercises, a list of English phrasal verbs translated into
Spanish, and "Spanish for travelers."
Spanish-- "Aims to become a valuable resource to
Spanish students and teaching communities throughout the
world. Our goal is to create a space where students and
teachers develop a community based on communication and
the exchange of ideas, to improve the experience of
teaching and learning Spanish." From Spanish teachers in
Spain and offers much useful cost-free learning content.
Spanish-- Commercial site with a lot of free
material and audio, including basic and medical
vocabularies, medical dictionary, anatomical
illustrations, patient teaching aids, and cultural
for Health Care Providers-- "This site is presented
as a free medical Spanish immersion, with vocabulary
including greetings, history, examination, and everyday
speech, all with translation and audio. It is designed to
be helpful for a variety of medical personnel."
• NoComprendo.es-- Free online Spanish
course and teaching resources available in English and
several other languages, visual and interactive, with
choice of several subject areas.
Idioma Español-- Interesting notes on Spanish
language usage and role in world, plus links to Spanish
dictionaries, culture sites, radio stations, periodicals,
• Practice Spanish Online--"Informed,
thorough and up-to-date review of the main free online
Spanish learning resources available." Very useful
directory that evaluates sources for grammar exercises,
vocabulary lists, listening practice, videos, reading
comprehension, forums, dictionaries, and more.
Escrita-- Links to newspapers throughout the
• Real Academia Española-- Website of the Academy that sets standards for the Spanish language, featuring an authoritative online dictionary; orthographic, usage and verb conjugation guidelines; and an online service for linguistic consultations.
• Spanish Answers-- Informative, lively, and wide-ranging site about the Spanish language and all things related to Spain.
• SpanishDict-- "World’s largest
Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and language
learning website. We develop and provide reliable,
accurate, easy-to-use resources for learning Spanish." Note the translation
facility and the Spanish
• Spanish Language-- About.com's
colorful and helpful guide to things Spanish.
Language Guide-- Spanish language facts, culture,
grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, tests, and more.
• Spanish Learning Corner-- "Explore the mood and mindset of the Spanish speaking peoples. Gain a glimpse into our perception of reality, through involvement with the cultural heritage inherent in our language traditions: our sayings, proverbs, idioms and expressions."
• Spanish Proverbs and Sayings, with Their
English Equivalents-- Scores of idiomatic proverbs
and sayings, compiled by Berta Alicia Chen and posted by
the University of California, Los Angeles.
• Spanish Resources-- From Schoolshape, many interactive audio and visual exercises for various levels of proficiency, in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Mostly free and created by teachers. Visitors can also create their own resources and share them with others.
• Spanish-test.net-- "Created according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages... [so] it provides a reliable method to determine your Spanish skills." Helpful interactive usage and grammar tests provide scores, correct answers, and re-tests with new questions at levels A1 to B2.
• Study Spanish-- Free online tutorial
to help you learn Spanish through interactive grammar, verb,
and vocabulary exercises with a large selection of audio.
Also has a premium level, but the free level is quite
• TypeIt.org-- "This page allows you
to easily type Spanish accents and other Spanish
characters without a Spanish keyboard. You can edit your
text in the box and then copy it to your document, e-mail
on the life and culture in these different
[Spanish-speaking] worlds and helps you to learn Spanish
and to improve and enrich your skills by providing
vocabulary help, audio editions, and a wide array of other
• Vocabulix-- Learn
Spanish free online, with vocabulary lessons, conjugation
tables, verb drills, grammar tips, and dictionary.