Engines for Spanish Language Sites
Internet broadcasts in Spanish are
accessible through the International Radio and Television
page of this WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs
Miguel de Cervantes-- "La Biblioteca de las culturas
hispánicas." Major virtual library of Spanish-language
classic works of literature available free online, with
commentary and analysis of the authors and their works,
supported by many Spanish and foreign entities. Also has a
collection of links to academic centers, digitalization
projects, libraries, publishers, and bookstores,
especially of the Spanish-speaking world, and more.
• Bitácoras-- "La mayor red social
para bloggers existente en español con más que 250.000
usuarios a los que ofrecemos multitud de recursos y
servicios gratuitos. El sistema recoge la información de
miles de bitácoras y la organiza, cataloga y distribuye en
tiempo real convirtiéndose en un instrumento fundamental
para conocer lo que ocurre en la blogosfera hispana."
• Destinos: An Introduction to Spanish-- "A video instructional series in Spanish for college and high school classrooms and adult learners; 52 half-hour video programs, audiocassettes, music CD, video and audio scripts, and coordinated books." Produced by WGBH Boston. Entire series is viewable online with free registration.
• DramaFever Latino-- "The only legal video platform with free subtitled Latin American and Spanish telenovelas in the US, [with] a great collection of titles." A fine place to practice Spanish, available for many platforms and in HD for subscribers.
• E-Spanish-- This free educational
site includes online grammar tests, interactive vocabulary
practice, games, song lyrics, audio with transcripts, a
database of several hundred Spanish-language web links,
• El Castellano: La Página del Idioma Español-- Interesting notes on Spanish language usage and role in world, plus links to Spanish dictionaries, culture sites, radio stations, periodicals, search engines.
• Health Care Spanish-- Provides many useful phrases and general medical vocabulary in Spanish for health care professionals.
• Learn a Language: Spanish-- From Visual Link Languages, "created by the U.S. Institute of Languages... to help people bridge communication gaps and to give back to the world in which we live." Includes vocabulary, phrases, dictionary, cultural notes, blog, and forum.
• Learn Spanish Feel Good-- Over 100
free quizzes on various aspects of Spanish grammar (for
beginning and intermediate levels), image and topic-based
vocabulary quizzes, advanced vocabulary-training
exercises, a list of English phrasal verbs translated into
Spanish, and "Spanish for travelers."
• Linguasorb-- Offers helpful "verb conjugation resources, grammar lessons, vocabulary lists... with audio, translations, practice quizzes and more" in Spanish.
Spanish-- "Aims to become a valuable resource to
Spanish students and teaching communities throughout the
world. Our goal is to create a space where students and
teachers develop a community based on communication and
the exchange of ideas, to improve the experience of
teaching and learning Spanish." From Spanish teachers in
Spain and offers much useful cost-free learning content.
Spanish-- Commercial site with a lot of free
material and audio, including basic and medical
vocabularies, medical dictionary, anatomical
illustrations, patient teaching aids, and cultural
• Medical Spanish for Health Care Providers-- "This site is presented as a free medical Spanish immersion, with vocabulary including greetings, history, examination, and everyday speech, all with translation and audio. It is designed to be helpful for a variety of medical personnel."
• 123TeachMe-- "Our goal is to provide the most comprehensive website on the Internet related to learning Spanish. We have Spanish courses, online tutors, interactive Spanish games, a languages school directory...[and] links to newspapers throughout the Spanish-speaking world," plus verb conjugator, translator, audio, video, lesson plans, reference pages, and more.
• Prensa Escrita-- Links to newspapers throughout the Spanish-speaking world.
• Real Academia Española-- Website of the Academy that sets standards for the Spanish language, featuring an authoritative online dictionary; orthographic, usage and verb conjugation guidelines; and an online service for linguistic consultations.
• SpanishDict-- "World’s largest
Spanish-English dictionary, translation, and language
learning website. We develop and provide reliable,
accurate, easy-to-use resources for learning Spanish." Note the translation
facility and the Spanish
• Spanish Language-- About.com's
colorful and helpful guide to things Spanish.
Language Guide-- Spanish language facts, culture,
grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, tests, and more.
• Spanish Proverbs and Sayings, with Their
English Equivalents-- Three hundred idiomatic
proverbs and sayings, compiled by Berta Alicia Chen and
posted by the University of California, Los Angeles.
• Spanish-test.net-- "Created according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages... [so] it provides a reliable method to determine your Spanish skills." Helpful interactive usage and grammar tests provide scores, correct answers, and re-tests with new questions at levels A1 to B2.
• TypeIt.org-- "This page allows you
to easily type Spanish accents and other Spanish
characters without a Spanish keyboard. You can edit your
text in the box and then copy it to your document, e-mail
on the life and culture in these different
[Spanish-speaking] worlds and helps you to learn Spanish
and to improve and enrich your skills by providing
vocabulary help, audio editions, and a wide array of other
• Vocabulix-- Learn
Spanish free online, with vocabulary lessons, conjugation
tables, verb drills, grammar tips, and dictionary.